Monday, May 25, 2009

Sleepless in Manhattan


One of my favorite things about being home is that I get to stay up all night long partying with my buddy Carlos. When I say party I don't actually mean party (we will watch movies, play video games and/or tell stories over a few brews) but when I say "stay up all night long" I literally mean we go to sleep at sunrise. 

It's a sort of tradition. It has destroyed my sleep cycle (even when I'm at school) for what will probably be the rest of my life. It's worth it though. We get a lot of thinking done and almost always have a good time.

Today was the first of these all nighters we have pulled since I have been back. Around 5:30 I saw the sun was almost out and I decided "why the hell should I go to sleep now and wake up at Carlos' place  at 6 tonight?" and I decided to walk home.

Let me say, starlets, one thing I rarely experience is this city, the Lower East Side in particular, very early in the morning. Every time I do I say "holy shit I gotta' do this more often"

It smells wonderful, it's not sunny, has a perfect breeze, not a soul out on the street and you never have to wait to cross. Wonderful.

Today, starlets, was the beginning of a beautiful day. Now I will go sleep it away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! And the walk home, I've done that before. It's great. It's peaceful. Tranquil. Sleepy thoughts. Great.

daniel said...

i liked that. very much

Carlos Galarza said...

Didn't you get home and not fall asleep for hours. It was a great sleep though, and I must say going to sleep at like 2 or 3 like we have been has actually been ruining my life. Waking up after going to sleep at sunrise I was so refreshed and ready for two days in a row of semi-work.